Rehabilitation of the Federal Building for the City of Elmira, NY, a 59,492 square foot building comprised on steel and masonry construction and clad with granite and limestone. The building, originally built in 1902 to serve as a U.S. Post Office and Court House, is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tectonic provided professional architectural and engineering services as well as facility design related to the rehabilitation. Funded with a Restore NY grant, services included replacing the roof, asbestos abatement, lead paint remediation, window restoration, repointing stonework, railing upgrades with historic considerations to make the building compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, upgrading the fire alarm system, and some mechanical work.
In an effort to keep construction costs related to the exterior masonry restoration to a minimum, construction supervision was provided to target areas of necessary repair so available grant money could be utilized on remainder building upgrades.