Founded in 1919, the Hudson River Museum is dedicated to broadening cultural horizons with its contemporary galleries, an 1876 Victorian home on the National Register of Historic Places, a Planetarium, and a permanent environmental learning gallery. The Amphitheater, a concrete open-air performance space located in Trevor Park adjacent to the Museum, overlooks the river and the Palisades while seating over 400 people.
Over two contact periods, Tectonic provided survey, geotechnical, and site/civil services for the design and construction of: an outdoor amphitheater with a backstage facility (green roof, bathrooms, lobby, and “green” room) and an expansion of the west wing to improve museum function. Subsurface investigations determined extent of fill and foundation requirements while site/civil designs addressed grading/drainage/erosion control/utility diversions on steep slopes.
Using the guiding principles of the museum master plan, the stormwater management facility required by City ordinance for the Amphitheater project was designed to accommodate the future west wing expansion, thus saving capital construction dollars.
Two state grants totaling $630,000 (December 2014) helped expand exhibition space, create a waterfront entrance to the museum, and provide fine arts storage and gallery space that meets current security and climate control standards.